Our veterinarians in O’Fallon understand that dogs tend to chew on things they shouldn't. As a responsible pet owner, it's important to recognize the early signs of poisoning in your dog and know what to do if your pet exhibits poisoning symptoms.

How Do You Know if Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

Unintentional poisoning is the most common cause of dog poisoning. Our family pets have frequently gotten into things they shouldn't have, leaving worried dog owners unsure of what to do.

In other cases, dogs have been exposed to toxic substances or even eaten treats unsuitable for dog metabolisms.

Common Household Items Toxic to Dogs

Your home and garden contain many potentially toxic or poisonous items for your dog. That's why it's critical always to know where your dog is and to keep potentially harmful substances out of your curious dog's reach.

Some of the most common household substances that are poisonous to dogs are:

  • Chocolate
  • Raisins
  • Xylitol (low-calorie sweetener)
  • Bleach
  • Oven cleaner
  • Laundry detergent
  • Tylenol
  • Alcohol
  • Gasoline
  • Tobacco
  • Furniture polish
  • Drain cleaners
  • Antidepressants
  • Snail, slug, or rodent poisons
  • Fungi
  • Yew trees
  • Acorns
  • Spring bulbs

Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs

You may be wondering how to tell if your dog has been poisoned. The first signs of poisoning vary greatly depending on the type of poison and fall into a few categories:

  • Symptoms caused by swallowed poisons can include vomiting, diarrhea, agitation, and heart issues.
  • Inhaled toxins may cause breathing difficulties or loss of consciousness in dogs.
  • If your dog's skin comes in contact with a poisonous substance, typical symptoms include irritation and pain.

It's important to note that poisoning symptoms may not appear for days or even months after exposure.

Long-Term Symptoms of Dog Poisoning

If you suspect your dog has ingested something poisonous, it is important to seek immediate medical attention. The fact that your dog does not display any symptoms immediately does not mean it is immune to the harmful effects of the poisonous substance.

There are several long-term symptoms that you should be aware of if your dog has been exposed to a poisonous substance, including irregular heartbeat, kidney failure, liver damage, blood loss, and neurological symptoms such as seizures. It is crucial to act quickly and seek medical assistance if you suspect that your pet has come into contact with a toxic substance.

What To Do If You Think Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

If you suspect your dog has been poisoned, it's important to stay calm and immediately contact the emergency veterinarian in your O’Fallon.

To prevent your dog from further exposure, remove it from the poisoned substance and move it safely out of your dog's reach.

Do not attempt to provide first aid to your dog, as different poisons require different treatments. Inducing vomiting, for example, may be necessary in some cases but can also make your dog sicker.

Therefore, it is recommended that you bring your dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible so that they can administer appropriate treatment. If you know what has poisoned your dog, bring any packaging or a sample of the poison safely to your vet's office.

This will help your vet fully understand the situation and determine the best treatment course for your dog.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

If your dog exhibits poisoning symptoms, please visit our veterinary office in O’Fallon immediately. Our team of veterinarians is available to assist you and your pet.